Advanced processing tools
Whilst the core design of THE BUS+ remains faithful to the original, a number of advanced processing tools have been added to create the most versatile Bus Compressor ever. In addition to D-EQ and Transient Expander, THE BUS+ features three unique compression colours; LOW THD, F/B and 4K MODE. Each ‘colour’ offers a different characteristic and can be combined for very unique compression styles.
LOW THD MODE introduces a special circuit modification in the side-chain, helping to limit the amount of low frequency distortion compression can create, especially with fast release times. Subjectively, LOW THD 'cleans up' the bottom-end, allowing you to achieve 'cleaner' gain reduction.
F/B (FEED-BACK) MODE takes the signal feeding the side-chain from a feed-back position (i.e. after the main gain-reduction VCA in the audio path). This results in a more 'relaxed' style of compression, in contrast to the traditional 'grab' of the Bus Compressor.
4K MODE changes the operation of the VCA from balanced to unbalanced (matching how the Bus Compressor in a 4000-series console was implemented). It also introduces a variable amount of harmonic distortion via the VCA. These two factors combine to allow for a more 'coloured' sound. THE BUS+ allows you to adjust the distortion amount which 4K MODE offers. You'll find there's a certain 'sweet spot' (depending on your mix level) in which your material will become more cohesive, thanks to the added thickness.
D-EQ. After a considerable amount of research and development, we are proud to introduce the first ever SSL Dynamic EQ (the D-EQ) as part of THE BUS+. The side-chain is a specially adapted version of the Bus Compressor side-chain with additional circuitry such as the gain reduction limiter for the Range parameter. We think the D-EQ is every bit as musical and powerful as the Bus Compressor itself. The D-EQ can enhance the top and bottom end of your mix with ease, making it an extremely powerful companion alongside the Bus Compressor.
The D-EQ is a 2-band parallel Dynamic EQ. Each band has 16 frequency points to choose from, allowing complete control over which part of the frequency spectrum you want to affect. The High Frequency band can also be changed from a shelf filter to bell curve.
Compression / Expansion: Each band has a 31-position stepped control labelled with COMP and EXP at the extremes of the control. As you turn the control clockwise from the centre position '0' (no effect), you start dialling in an expansion effect. Moving the control anti-clockwise, you start dialling in a compression effect.
- 4 modes of operation - Classic Stereo, Σ S/C Stereo, Dual Mono or Mid-Side
- External side-chain inputs and sends
- The authentic SSL Bus Compressor circuit
- LOW THD Mode reduces low-frequency distortion caused by compression
- F/B Mode alters the compression characteristics for a more 'relaxed' style of compression
- 4K Mode - single VCA operation with variable harmonic distortion to bring some 'grit' and 'grunge' to the mix
- Negative Ratios - for creative pumping effects and control of particularly loud signals
- New Attack and Release options, including the new 'Auto 2' setting
- MIX control for instant parallel compression
- Moving-coil gain reduction meters
- Unlockable Transient Expander