Spirit - The evolution of the Microphone
The Spirit is a high performance condener microphone using a 1" gold evaporated capsule. The mic offers a choice of 3 different polar patterns (Omni, Cardioid and Figure of 8) via a switch on the front. This gives the mic the versatility to record in a variety of environments. The Spirit will be a great choice for most instruments, but is particularly sweet on acoustic guitar and vocals. It's built with some of the best components that you find in expensive boutique microphones.
The Result is a beautifully open sound with sparkling harmonics. This highly accurate microphone gives a stunningly natural and transparent recording, capturing all the detail in the high range but without adding the harshness that some condenser microphones seem to.
Wave Form Mesh Head
One of the most striking features of the Origin is it's waveform mesh head. This shock resistant band offers unprecedented protection to your microphones delicate capsule and components. Mesh heads have always been the first line of defence for your mic, but a heavy knock will at the least leave an unsightly disfiguring to the mesh itself. With the wave-form mesh, the head will distort to take the energy away from a heavy knock, but can be easily returned to it's normal position, without any damage at all.
Built-in Pop Filter
Aston Microphones also feature a built in pop filter that's even better than most filters on the market. It's random weave allows your vocals to pass unhindered, whilst stopping plosives dead. It also shields against electromagnetic radiation.
The other great thing about having a filter integrated into your mic is that it offers automatic protection from the outside world. its stainless steel mesh cage protects from unwanted moisture, grime and dust and can even be removed from the mic and washed; ensuring your mic will be clean and fresh and last a very long time!
In-built shock absorbtion
Each element inside the Origin has been designed with it's own shock absorbant design, meaning that the mic is inherently much more resistant to any minor lumps and bumps that could get into your recordings. Aston are so confident that they put a direct stand mount on the base of the mic so that you don't need any sort of mic clip or external shock mount. Of course you can still use a shock mount if you feel more confident using one.
- > Wave-form mesh head – this unique design provides shock absorption to protect the capsule, with elastic mesh memory
- > Built-in pop filter using the latest stainless steel mesh-knit technology
- > Direct to stand microphone mounting
- > 2mm, solid stainless steel, laser-cut and etched chassis
- > Capsule - The Aston Sound - developed by professional artists, engineers and producers - www.astonmics.com/astonsound
- > PCB – market-leading electronic design with WIMA capacitors
- > Eco-friendly packaging. No unnecessary frills; just well-designed, re-usable and recyclable packaging
- > Transducer Type: Condenser
- > Acoustic Operating Principle: Pressure Gradient
- > Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz (+/-3dB)
- > Equivalent Input Noise: 18dB A-Weighted
- > Sensitivity at 1kHz into 1kohm: 23.7mV/Pa
- > Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 138dB
- > Directional Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- > Pad Switch: -10dB
- > Low-Cut Filter: 80Hz
- > 48 Volt Phantom power (+/- 4 Volts) is required for operation
Packed With Performance.
A lot of preamps on the market do a good job of raising the volume of mics and instruments. Unfortunately, many pres are doing only that, raising volume. The “Super clean” designs of today often leave the signal exiting the preamp sounding much the same as it did entering it.
If you are looking for a preamp to improve and shape your signal you will most definitely love the WA12 MKII. The WA12 MKII is designed to transform plain instruments and vocals into exciting tone. If your mixes lack depth, struggle to sound alive, or are just missing that professional touch you’ve always wanted, there is a good chance you will love the WA12 MKII.
The WA12 MKII is a completely discrete, high voltage, dual-transformer microphone preamplifier design with high gain (+71dB), high headroom, low noise, and an exciting sonic performance – great for all types of recording applications. A high quality mic preamp is one of the most critical pieces needed to achieve the elusive ‘larger than life’ sound, and the WA12 MKII is more than capable of delivering.
The WA12 MKII is based around a discrete op-amp, the X731, which is our own reproduction of the vintage classic Melcor 1731, considered by some to be the warmer predecessor to the modern 2520-style op-amp. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean and lifelike tones; but can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. The effects can be subtle, but very pleasing to the ear. The WA12 MKII can also accept any discrete op-amp on the market which conforms to the +/-16v, 2520 pinout standard.
Premium Components in every Warm Audio product.
When developing the WA12 MKII our ears played a big part in the design process. Using CineMag USA transformers and an all discrete signal path ensured that the WA12 MKII would have the building blocks to compete with the best sounding preamps on the market. We are very proud to offer such a robust/professional design in a small and affordable package.
- Utilizes premium grade input and output USA CineMag transformers.
- 71db of Gain, fully discrete signal path.
- Utilizes a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp. Can be replaced with other 6-pin "2520 foot-print" opamps for varying tone/flavor.
- TONE button – Switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. Changes the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel. Sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and discrete opamp. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Mic level balanced input: XLR.
- Balanced outputs: XLR and 1/4″/TRS.
- 48 volt Phantom Power.
- Output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation.
- LED Meter gain indication.
- 20db pad.
- External 24v AC power plug.
Buy the Aston / Warm Audio WA12 MK II bundle from Audiosaurus. The Online Pro Audio specialists in South Africa.