Two condenser cartridges create a stereo image of the sound source. Best suited to: Speech The Shure Model VP88 is a single-point, stereo condenser microphone...
Two condenser cartridges create a stereo image of the sound source.
The Shure Model VP88 is a single-point, stereo condenser microphone for use in professional studio recording, field production, electronic news gathering (ENG), and studio broadcasting applications. It combines two condenser cartridges in a single housing to create a stereo audio image of the sound source.
It is unique in its ability to capture the realism of a live event and yet withstand rigorous field production environments. The VP88 uses a mid-side (M-S) configuration. One microphone cartridge (Mid) faces forward to capture on-axis sound using a cardioid pickup pattern. The other microphone cartridge (Side) is bi-directional, capturing sound from either side.
The VP88 contains an internal M-S matrix with three settings for different degrees of stereo image seperation. The internal matrix can be bypassed if an external matrix is used or if stereo imaging is done in post-production. Switches on the top of the microphone control output mode, stereo imaging, low-frequency rolloff settings, and battery on/off. The VP88 can operate on phantom power or an internal 6 V battery. The VP88 is supplied with a multi-connector "Y-splitter" cable, foam windscreen, swivel stand adapter, 6-volt battery, and zippered carrying/storage bag.
Optional accessories include an isolation mount, a 7.6 m (25 ft) microphone extension cable, aphantom power supply, and a 4.3 m (14 ft) microphone stand. The optional A88SM Shock Mount provides optimum isolation from stand-transmitted shock and vibration. The A88SM is ideal for critical studio applications contains a standard mounting foot for use with most electronic news gathering (ENG) video cameras.
- Frequency Range: 40 Hz to 20 kHz
- Time-coherent, Mid-Side (M-S) design for optimal stereo imaging
- Built-in stereo matrix for direct control of the stereo spread; direct M-S outputs available
- Mono compatibility ideal for broadcast applications
- 40 to 20,000 Hz frequency response
- Low noise and distortion
- Wide dynamic range
- Switch-selectable, low-frequency rolloff (12 dB/octave below 80 Hz) for reduced pickup of ambient noise and stand vibration
- Operates on phantom power or a 6V camera battery
- LED power indicator
- Internal shock mount for reduced stand vibration and handling noise
- Built-in "pop" screen
- Includes windscreen, swivel adapter, and Y-cable